If your car was powered by thorium, you would never need to refuel it. The vehicle would burn out long before the chemical did. The thorium would last so long, in fact, it would probably outlive you.
That’s why a company called Laser Power Systems has created a concept for a thorium-powered car engine. The element is radioactive, and the team uses bits of it to build a laserbeam that heats water, produces steam, and powers an energy-producing turbine.
Thorium is one of the most dense materials on the planet. A small sample of it packs 20 million times more energy than a similarly-sized sample of coal, making it an ideal energy source.
The thing is, Dr. Charles Stevens, the CEO of Laser Power Systems, told Mashable that thorium engines won’t be in cars anytime soon.
“Cars are not our primary interest,” Stevens said. ”The automakers don’t want to buy them.”
He said too much of the automobile industry is focused on making money off of gas engines, and it will take at least a couple decades for thorium technology to be used enough in other industries that vehicle manufacturers will begin to consider revamping the way they think about engines. We’re building this to power the rest of the world,” Stevens said. He believes a thorium turbine about the size of an air conditioning unit could more provide cheap power for whole restaurants, hotels, office buildings, even small towns in areas of the world without electricity. At some point, thorium could power individual homes.
Stevens understands that people may be wary of Thorium because it is radioactive — but any such worry would be unfounded.
“The radiation that we develop off of one of these things can be shielded by a single sheet off of aluminum foil,” Stevens said. ”You will get more radiation from one of those dental X-rays than this.”
ABOLISH THE ACT OF 1871
- The District of Columbia ACT of 1871 Copy this below and share it with EVERYONE you know! 9,597 views
- NEW STORY 4/14/2014 Animals Leaving Yellowstone? 4.7M & 4.9M (5.0M) Earthquake strikes the Western Yellowstone posted on April 6, 2014
- 3/30/2014 Yellowstone Magma Chamber Animals Leaving Yellowstone? What Do They Know We Don’t Know? 41,022 views
- UPDATE 4/3/14 Yellowstone Magma Chamber Animals Leaving Yellowstone? What Do They Know We Don’t Know? 11,231 views
The Bundy Ranch Affair read more:
- The Bundy Ranch Affair Is the Tip of the Iceberg To What’s Coming Hell Has No Fury posted on April 14, 2014
- Update Ruby Ridge Reloade… 5,041 views
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bun… 1,563 views
- Cliven Bundy to Meet with Clark Co. Sheriff / Breaking Cliven Bundy Cows Are COMING HOME
- This is a must see! Ukraine. Bercut captures American agent, consultant unres posted on February 21, 2014
- FBI Opens Files Proving Adolf Hitler Went To Argentina posted on March 8, 2014
- Drone Operator Killed 1,626 People – Is Haunted & Disgusted By His ‘Sociopathic’ Actions posted on June 7, 2013
- 9/11 Smoking Gun? WOW REALLY ! ! ! posted on January 18, 2014
- Obama has officially announced plans to trash the Constitution posted on January 16, 2014
- IT IS A DAMN SHAME IT REALLY IS 143 YEARS WWIII posted on March 5, 2014
- WW3 Alert: 7 Ukraine Bases Under Siege In Crimea STOCK UP ON SUPPLIES NOW BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE! posted on March 3, 2014
- IS WW3 HERE ? WOW PEOPLE ARE YOU A WAKE NOW ? posted on March 1, 2014
- DO HIGH-VOLTAGE ELECTRIC POWER TRANSMISSION LINES CAUSE CANCER posted on June 20, 2013
- The kenyan Mall Hoax posted on September 23, 2013